Steelkilt includes a powerful EPUB Error Scanner that provides comprehensive EPUB-version-specific validation for your work.
The EPUB Error Scanner checks both the structure and content of your Resources.
When the EPUB Error Scanner finds a problem, Steelkilt will display the EPUB Content Problem List.
Checking Your Work
Running the EPUB Error Scanner can take some time, depending on the size and constitution of your Book’s content. For this reason, Steelkilt will not run the EPUB Error Scanner while you work.
To run the EPUB Error Scanner, click the Check button on the toolbar.
The EPUB Error Scanner will write status messages to the status panel on the toolbar while it is running.
If Steelkilt detects any EPUB Content Problems, a warning indicator will be displayed on the right-hand side of the status panel and the EPUB Content Problems List will be displayed.
Clicking the warning indicator on the status panel will also display the EPUB Content Problem List (if it is hidden).
EPUB Content Problem List
The EPUB Content Problem List will appear at the bottom of Steelkilt’s content area (i.e. the middle pane between the Navigator and the Inspector).
EPUB Content Problems are classified as either Errors (marked with a red dot) or Warnings (marked with an orange dot). These classifications are based on the severity of the problem according to the relevant EPUB specification.
For a complete list of the problems that the EPUB Error Scanner can find, read EPUB Content Problems.
The EPUB Content Problem List displays the following:
- A summary count indicating the number of EPUB Content errors and warnings
- A list of EPUB Content Problems
Below is an explanation of the EPUB Content Problem List columns:
|Problem||The Book Setting (metadata) or XHTML/XML element that is causing the problem.|
|What/Where||The location of the problem.|
Usually, this will be Book Settings or a file name.
|Attribute/Value||Provides additional information to help identify problems found within an XHTML/XML element.|
Usually, this will be an attribute or attribute’s value, or something encapsulated by an element.
|Details||A brief description of the problem. |
Click on the row for more information.
Fixing EPUB Content Problems
Clicking on an EPUB Content Problem will:
- Open the source of the problem (such Book Settings or a Resource in Code Editor)
- Highlight code-level problems in the Code Editor
- Display a popover with further detail about the problem and options for fixing the problem.
Options for fixing EPUB Content Problems include:
- Allow Steelkilt to fix the problem for you
- Delete the Setting that is causing the problem
- Enter a value for a required Setting, attribute or value
- Choose from a list of values for a required Setting, attribute or value
- Fix the problem yourself and validate the problem