The Steelkilt interface is designed to streamline the writing-to-publication workflow.
The interface has five parts:
- The Toolbar
- The Navigator (the left pane)
- The Content Area (the upper portion of the middle pane)
- The EPUB Content Problem List (the lower portion of the middle pane)
- The Inspector (the right pane)
The EPUB Content Problem List is not shown by default.
The Toolbar contains ten buttons, which allow you to do the following:
|Switch to Text Editor|
|Switch to Annotations View|
|Switch to Search Tool|
|Switch to Code Editor|
|Check for EPUB Content Problems|
|Change the Appearance of Text Editor and Code Editor|
|Collapse or expand the Navigator|
|Collapse or expand the EPUB Content Problem List|
|Collapse or expand the Inspector|
|Export your work|
The Export button will be disabled for empty Steelkilt Projects.
Buttons allowing you to switch between views will be disabled during Imports.
Clicking the Check button will display the EPUB Content Problem List if the list is collapsed and any problems are found.
The Toolbar also contains a status panel.
The status panel displays:
- The type and name of the Book, Part, Document, Chapter or Resource that you have selected
- A progress indicator and status messages for long-running operations, such as:
- EPUB Content Generation
- Text and Resource import operations
- Text formatting
- EPUB Content Problem checking
- If Steelkilt detects any EPUB Content Problems, a warning indicator will be displayed on the right-hand side of the status panel. Click the warning indicator to show the EPUB Content Problems List.
The default view in Steelkilt is the Text Editor. In this view, you can:
- Navigate your Project’s Documents, Chapters and Parts
- Manipulate the structure of Books in your Project
- View summary information for Books and Parts
- Edit Documents and Chapters
- Inspect Settings for Books, Parts, Documents and Chapters
- Access EPUB Formatting options
Three other views are available:
- Annotations View
- Search Tool
- Code Editor
You can switch between these views using buttons on the Toolbar and View Menu commands.
Switching between views will change the content and functionality of the Navigator:
- Annotations View provides a list of Annotations
- Search Tool provides controls for searching and lists search results
- In Code Editor, the Code Navigator will be available
When editing text or code, the Navigator (left pane) and the Inspector (right pane) are optional. Use the buttons on the Toolbar to collapse these portions of the Steelkilt user interface as required.
Switch Steelkilt to full-screen mode to remove external distractions, such as other application windows.
Two navigation-related controls appear at the top of the Content Area:
- Back/Forward control
- Path control
The Back/Forward control allows you to jump through a 25-item history of the things you have viewed, such as Books, Parts, Documents, Chapters and Resources.
The Path control allows you to navigate either:
- The contents of your Project, such as Books, Parts, Documents and Chapters, when in Text Editor; or
- The Resources associated with a selected Book, when in Code Editor
You cannot use the Path control to switch between Text and Code Editor; however, using the Back/Forward control to move through the history will cause Steelkilt to switch between Text Editor and Code Editor as required.